Karandi Omlette @ Konar Mess

Konar Mess is one of my favorite restaurants in Singapore. While they do offer North Indian Fusion Food (Chilli Paneer for instance), their forte lies in churning South Indian Food with a twist. I have friends who swear by the Kola Urundai and Kari Dosai. However, since I am a vegetarian, my opinion is based on the vegetarian items (eggs included) on the menu.

Veechu Parotta is the South Indian cousin of Rumali Roti. Konar Mess serves amazingly soft and delicious veechu parottas. The Kurma that is served as a side dish, enhances the taste and texture of the veechu parottas. The aroma was amazing. The Veechu Parotta in Konar Mess gets a 9/10 from me.


The Karandi Omelette (ladle omelette) pictured above is one of the best vegetarian dishes (yes, eggs are vegetarian) in Konar Mess. Three omelettes will set you back by $4.5, a small amount to pay for great taste. The Karandi Omelette had the right amount of spice and gets a 10/10 from me.

Impressed by the Karandi Omelette and Veechu Parotta, I ordered a Paneer 65. It was unfortunately very soggy and tasted bland. The Paneer 65 gets a poor 2/10 from me. I made a mental note to not try North Indian or Fusion foods at typical South Indian restaurants.

Their Kulfi, Buttermilk and Jigarthanda are exceptionally good too. The ambiance and service is very good. The staff are polite. The menu is particularly not favorable for vegetarians (especially those who do not eat eggs). Konar Mess gets an 8/10 from me, a 10/10 if I do not consider the botched up Paneer 65.

Comments